(This is a now page. I learnt about now pages from Derek Sivers.)
Here’s what I’m working on at the moment, both in my professional life and my personal life.
August 13, 2018
Living in Stirling.
Working at Robertson Group as a Content Manager & Copywriter:
- Aiming to introduce content marketing to the business
- Focusing on measurement and goals in a digital marketing context
- Practicing my presenting and speaking skills
- Mentoring and training newer team members and colleagues
- I don’t feel like a manager, but I want to become a leader in some capacity
Updating my personal websites:
- Moving The Drum-Up cycling blog from owenphilipson.com/blog to thedrumup.co.uk
- I have stopped podcasting. Why? Although I enjoy interviewing and recording, and the way that this contributes to the cycling community, I struggle to find time to edit and upload alongside my other commitments. This becomes a burden and kills the joy of it.
- Deciding whether:
- I should develop The Drum-Up as ‘a brand’.
- Keep it as an archive.
- Get rid of it and move on – end of an era?
- August 2018 update: I published some archive posts from drafts. It’s still fun.
- I’ll keep it going for at least one major article that I’d regret if I never published.
- Decommissioning my freelance site constructioncontent.co.uk
- (I’m stopping promoting freelance content writing as a service)
- But I’m not binning the content – I’m archiving it to a personal website.
- Creating a personal website at owenphilipson.com
- For personal articles.
- Personal brand and career.
Being the best Dad I can be to my two girls. They split their time 50/50 between me and their Mum.
Practising minimalism. Less is now.
- Simplifying my life to focus on the most important things.
- Avoiding retail therapy and compulsory consumerism.
- Reducing the clutter in my house.
- Not hanging on to old items for sentimental reasons – often difficult, as I like to archive and curate.
- Decommissioned my office space so that both my kids got their own room.
- Financial minimalism: pay up front, minimise debt.
- N-1 bike policy: reducing excess, enjoying quality, making money by selling second-hand.
Getting fit again:
- Commute 5km each way to work, two or three days a week.
- Extended rides after work
- Running for variety and to fit in with ‘life and logistics’
- I stopped road racing at the end of 2013.
- I’m not an active member of Stirling Bike Club at the moment.
- August 2018 update – I’ve stopping racing cyclocross, at least for this season.
Enjoying music – BBC 6Music and some live concerts.